Göran Sluiter is professor of international criminal law at the University of Amsterdam. He is also professor of criminal law and procedure at the Open University in the Netherlands and lawyer and partner at Prakken D'Oliveira Human Rights Lawyers.
He studied law at the University of Maastricht (1996) and obtained his PhD in international criminal law at Utrecht University (2002). He joined the University of Amsterdam as a senior lecturer in (international) criminal law in 2004 and become a Professor in international criminal law in 2006.
Göran is principal investigator in the VICI funded research project 'Rethinking the Outer Limits of Secondary Liability for International Crimes and Serious Human Rights Violations' which runs from September 2018 until September 2023.
Between 2006 and 2011, he was principal investigator in the VIDI funded research project 'International criminal procedure - In search of General Rules and Principles'.
Göran's publications include:
- Sluiter, G., & Tiernan, M. (2020). The Right to an Effective Defence During ECCC Investigations. Journal of International Criminal Justice, 18(3), 641-664. [details]
- Sluiter, G., & Yau, S. S. M. (2020). Aiding and Abetting and Causation in the Commission of International Crimes: The Cases of Dutch Businessmen van Anraat and Kouwenhoven. In N. H. B. Jørgensen (Ed.), The International Criminal Responsibility of War’s Funders and Profiteers (pp. 304-328). Cambridge University Press. [details]
- Sluiter, G. (2019). Twenty-Five Years of Contemporary International Criminal Justice. In A. Duval, E. Kassoti, G. K. Sluiter, & S. Parmentier (Eds.), Living up to International Criminal Law: State of Affairs, Prospects and Mandates (pp. 41-68). (Mededelingen van de Koninklijke Nederlandse Vereniging voor Internationaal Recht; No. 146), (Preadviezen). Asser Press. [details]
- Sluiter, G. (2018). Enforcing Cooperation: Did the Drafters Approach It the Wrong Way? Journal of International Criminal Justice, 16(2), 383-402. [details]
- Sluiter, G., Friman, H., Linton, S., Zappalà, S., & Vasiliev, S. (2013). International criminal procedure: principles and rules. Oxford: Oxford University Press. [details]
Göran is the coordinator of the following courses at the Amsterdam Law School during the 2021-2022 academic year:
International Criminal Tribunals - Procedural Aspects
International Criminal Law Practice